2018 Agosci National Tour
Speak Up and Be Safe From Abuse
Promoting Rights and Safety for Adults with Complex Communication Needs Presented by Scope Australia
This workshop is based on recent work completed by Scope's Communication and Inclusion Resource Centre (CIRC) for the "Speak up and be safe from abuse" project. Part of the workshop will include two streams, one aimed at adults with complex communication needs and one aimed at professionals working in the area.
Presenters: Hilary Johnson, Naomi Rezanni and Liz Weston.
Audience: Open to anyone, however, this training is primarily targeting
- Professionals, i.e. Speech pathologists, teachers, educators, justice, advocacy, counsellors
- People who work with/support people with a disability and communication difficulties
- Family members
- People with a disability and communication support needs
COST (GST inclusive):
To enable better participation for people with complex communication needs, full ticket prices will subsidise the attendance for people with complex communication needs (CCN) to the event. This cost includes lunch and afternoon tea.
TO ACCESS MEMBER RATES PLEASE LOG INTO YOUR AGOSCI ACCOUNT BEFORE REGISTERING
- Person with complex communication needs (includes spot for one carer)
- Agosci member rate - $75
- Non-Agosci member - $125
INFOMRATION ABOUT WORKSHOP - PLEASE READ PRIOR TO REGISTRATION
MATERIALS FOR THE WORKSHOP:
Scope will provide the participant notes electronically 1 week before the event. Please bring the notes with you wither on your device or printed.
You will receive a copy by email in the week prior to the event in you have registered for.
You can view many of the resources on www.speakupandbesafe.com.au prior to the event.
The multi-level communication book
This item is not kept on the website. Following attendance at the event, you can request a an electronic copy of the multi-level communication book.
Items for purchase
You can purchase a full kit $500 inc GST (includes communication board sets, multi-level communication book, 2 posters and record sheet) or just the multi-level communication book ($250 inc GST).
SCHEDULE FOR DAY
Session 1 – Morning session - Please arrive at 9:30am. Lunch at 12:30pm
Audience: All participants
- participants will gain knowledge about the different presentations of abuse and neglect
- participants will gain knowledge about the relevant state-based legislation regarding abuse and neglect
- participants gain awareness about communication tools and resources to help adults with communication support needs to report abuse
The first session will cover the theoretical background including:
- Research demonstrating the vulnerabilities of people with disability and those with communication support needs from a human rights framework
- State & Federal legislation/training/policies relevant to abuse and neglect
- Identifying abuse and neglect and its relevance for people with communication support needs
- Presentation of current work by Scope and others around abuse and neglect including research findings from the Speak up and be safe from abuse project
The afternoon workshop splits into stream 2A and 2B, and runs from 1:30pm-4:00pm
Session 2A – afternoon session
Audience: Anyone may select this session. However, primary target audience is speech pathologists, people who work with/support people with a disability and communication difficulties & family members
- participants gain skills about how to use communication aids and strategies to discuss abuse and neglect with people with communication support needs
- participants will discuss and develop local strategies that could be put in place in their life or workplace to help address and prevent abuse and neglect
- participants will discuss and identify the role AGOSCI can take to address and prevent abuse and neglect
Practical activities and discussion including the following:
- Practical use of a range of communication strategies
- Practice using tools in the Speak Up and Be Safe from Abuse toolkit with specific scenarios
- Interactive discussion about facilitators and barriers for people with communication support needs
- Discussion about strategies that could be used to address abuse and neglect at a local and national level
Session 2B – afternoon session
Audience: Adults with communication support needs. This session is not suitable for children with communication support needs to attend.
- People with disabilities will share the issues that they have experienced when reporting abuse and neglect
- People will learn about CIRC’s Speak up and be safe from abuse resources
- People will express which further resources and supports are needed in their local area
The key points discussed during the workshop will be collated. These can be made available on the Speak Up and Be Safe website or on the AGOSCI website if appropriate for registrants
Registration is only confirmed upon full payment of fee. If payment is not completed upon registration, places will be held for 72 hours to complete payment. Registrations not fully paid after 72 hours can be cancelled. Cheque payments must be received by Agosci within 5 business days or place will be cancelled. To access discounted rate for members, you must log-in to your Agosci account to registering. Organisational membership enables up to one position to be purchased at the discounted rate. Cancellation policy: full refund until 60 days before event, 50% refund 59-8 days, no refunds within 7-0 days. Waitlist registrations will be taken upon all positions being filled.
For further enquiries about this event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org