A two-day workshop for speech pathologists, teachers, parents, carers, and professionals specialising in Augmentative and Alternative Communication.
This workshop provides participants with an understanding of the theory and practice related to PODD communication systems. PODD systems assist people with complex communication needs to learn language and communicate.
This workshop will provide:
· Creative and practical solutions through videos and case examples
· Hands on supported practice using PODD communication books
· Ways to use PODD communication books for initial language learning
· Ways to customize PODD generic templates to suit individual needs
· Ways to enable genuine communication in all daily environments
PODD communication books:
· Enable quick access to predictable messages
· Provide a broad range of vocabulary for spontaneous, unpredicted messages
· Are designed for varying communication, language, sensory and physical access needs
Participants will be able to:
· Discuss the evidence base for using aided language stimulation (modelling) interventions
· Describe the features of effective aided language learning environments and accessible communication communities.
· Evaluate how different AAC interventions and types of communication aids support children’s development of autonomous communication.
· Discuss the features of PODD communication systems in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customising for individual requirements.
· Use PODD generic template resources to produce customised communication books.
· Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
· Use PODD communication books to express frequently used messages.