The Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) approach assists people with complex communication needs to learn to understand and use language to enable autonomous communication. It provides strategies to support the design, production and implementation of communication systems to enable genuine communication for a variety of functions in all daily environments.
This workshop will assist participants to understand the theory and practice related to PODD communication systems. It will provide information about the evidence base for aided language stimulation, a strategy to assist language learning for augmentative and alternative communication. This workshop provides theory, video case examples and supported practice so participants can develop their confidence in understanding and using PODD communication systems.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customising for individual requirements.
- Reflect on and evaluate strategies for teaching communication skills
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customising for individual requirements.
- Use PODD generic template resources to begin the process of dynamic assessment and to produce customised communication books.
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
- Teach people with CCN and their communication partners to use PODD communication books in everyday environments, so communication happens across the day, anywhere and at any time.
Registration includes morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea. Please specify dietary requirements when registering for the workshop.
Venue parking and public transport information is detailed here: https://ilc.com.au/parking/
This workshop will be of interest to teachers, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, and educators of individuals who have complex communication needs. Family members and support people who would like a more in depth understanding of the PODD system are also welcome to attend. If you are considering PODD on an electronic communication device, this training would also be beneficial to develop your understanding about PODD features, organisation and teaching and learning strategies.
About the Presenter
Yvette Theodorsen, founder of Interactive Speech Pathology, has focused most of her 15 years as a speech pathologist working in the area of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC). She is a certified PODD Workshop presenter.Yvette continues to work in a practical, hands-on way, collaborating with families, educators, therapists and other supporters to implement various AAC systems, including the PODD communication system with individuals in all settings.
Registration and Cancellation Policy
Registration is only confirmed upon full payment of fee. Dates by which payment is required will be communicated by email if timely payment has not been received following registration. Registrations not paid by stated due dates can be cancelled. To access discounted rate for members you must be logged into your AGOSCI member account prior to registration.
Cancellations: Full refund until 60 days before event. 50% refund between 8-59 days before event. No refunds within 0-7 days of event start date.
Applications are subject to final approval by AGOSCI to ensure fair and equal access to events across organisations. Waitlist registrations will be taken upon all positions being filled.
This workshop is proudly brought to you by AGOSCI in partnership with Indigo (formerly ILC WA).