PODD for Speech Generating Devices
The Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) approach assists people with complex communication needs to learn to understand and use language to enable autonomous communication. It provides strategies to support the design, production and implementation of communication systems to enable genuine communication for a variety of functions in all daily environments.
Ever wondered why PODD pages sets for speech generating devices are not direct copies of the corresponding language level of a PODD communication book? This workshop will explain the similarities, differences and variations in vocabulary organisations needed to capitalize on, and accommodate for, the innate differences between paper books and electronic devices.
The focus of this workshop is the design features of PODD page sets to suit speech generating devices. The content will build on the information relating to the purpose, design principles, intervention strategies and use of PODD communication books covered in the two-day introductory workshop. The efficiencies resulting from predicting vocabulary usage patterns in the PODD page sets for speech generating devices will be demonstrated for different stages of communication and language development.
Hands-on practical experiences will also provide participants with opportunities:
- to explore the features and vocabulary organisation of PODD page sets designed to suit varying communication and language requirements
- to learn how to use the features built into the PODD page sets to customize vocabulary for different communication purposes
- develop fluency using the PODD page sets to model and expand language.
Teaching and learning strategies that have been found effective for implementing the PODD integrated communication system (paper books and electronic devices) to support the development of autonomous communication at any time will be shared.
This workshop is only available to participants who have completed a 2-day introductory PODD workshop previously.
**Participants will need to source and bring a PODD page set on an electronic device (computer, iPad) to participate in the interactive activities.**
Information will be sent to participants on options to access free trial versions of the PODD page sets on various softwares.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify how the availability of multiple systems supports an individual’s ability for autonomous communication in a range of environments
- Describe the similarities and differences between dynamic display (paper) communication books and (electronic) SGDs
- Describe PODD vocabulary organization strategies that maintain similarities between systems while taking advantage of each format’s unique features and functional characteristics
- Identify how predicating vocabulary usage patterns has been used in the PODD page sets to increase the efficiency of communication at different stages of communication and language development
- Select and customise PODD generic templates for speech generating devices to suit individual requirements.
- Model and expand language using PODD page sets for speech generating devices
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing the PODD integrated communication system (paper books and electronic devices) to support he development of autonomous communication at any time.
- Teach children and partners to use the PODD integrated communication system in daily environments.
Registration includes morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea. Please specify dietary requirements when registering for the workshop.
Attendees must have completed a 2-day Introductory PODD workshop to be eligible to attend this course.
Gayle Porter is a Speech Pathologist with over 40 years hands on experience working with people with complex communication needs. She is the developer of the PODD communication system. Gayle lectures both locally and internationally about Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Displays (PODD) and movements for communication (cerebral palsy). Gayle is a co-founder and senior mentor at the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre and has a private practice working with individuals who have complex communication needs. Gayle is a highly sort after international presenter.
Gayle is kindly supported by Lee Withall to deliver this workshop in Brisbane for AGOSCI.
Registration and Cancellation Policy
Registration is only confirmed upon full payment of fee. To access the discounted rate for members you must be logged into your AGOSCI member account prior to registration.
Please Note* All registrations incur a 3.5% paypal fee that can't be refunded
- 96.5% refund until 60 days before event.
- 46.5% refund between 8-59 days before event.
- No refunds within 0-7 days of event start date.
Applications for registrations are subject to final approval by AGOSCI to ensure fair and equal access to events across organisations. Waitlist registrations will be taken upon all positions being filled.
If you are experiencing any cold/flu symptoms or don't feel well on the day, please support the safety of others by staying at home and not attending the workshop in person.
This workshop is proudly brought to you by AGOSCI